Hmm, not good.

Which version of ES?  Do you have a full stack trace for the exception?

To run CheckIndex you need to add all ES jars to the classpath.  It's
easiest to just use a wildcard for this, e.g.:

  java -cp "/path/to/es-install/lib/*" org.apache.lucene.index.CheckIndex

Make sure you have the double quotes so the shell does not expand that
wildcard!

Mike McCandless