It's probably something like that, but it only seems to be a problem with
the more up to date version of ES. I'm keen to work out if there's a
configuration option I can tweak in 1.4.4 to make ES more robust in this
scenario or whether there's an issue around recovering dropped TCP
connections between nodes in more recent versions.