You could do a few things, from my perspective. (Hope this hits some idea's
you like)

   - upgrade, never hurts :) as long as you read the release notes to make
   sure nothing your depending on.
   - Add some filters to your existing queries to exclude unneeded data
   - you can create "filter aliases" which lets you set up predefined alias
   with filtered terms in-case you can't delete or loose data
      -

http://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/1.3/indices-aliases.html
      - I would rotate your index so all new data would go in to a new one
   while the archive can wither and die
      - Maybe rotate it on a daily basis or a point of time that works for
      your data sets  you can still have basic aliases to summarize multiple
days
      depending on your query needs
      - Use a project called curator to purge old data on a routine basis
      (cron)
         - https://github.com/elastic/curator/wiki
         - Finally if you need to massage the data you can look at this
   project
   - https://github.com/taskrabbit/elasticsearch-dump    it does full dumps
      and also Query Style dumpes.
      - Dump the whole index
      - Then dump with a query
      - Delete and import your query dump to a Date based index that can be
      purged later by curator
   - Oh just thought of this one, increase the number of shards and ES
   nodes, I see you have only 2
      - To do this will require you to export and import the data again.
      (at least for the old data