Depends on what you want to do with the data - you need some type of analyzer to interpret your data typically depending on what type of queries you are making
since otherwise it's just bytes.
Your images need to be converted into something - RGB signature, shapes, etc... Same for a text file - it in English, Spanish, Japanese? Is it a pdf, xls - again ES needs to understand the format and there are multiple plugins for that. Even if you don't know what you are looking, you need to break down the blob of bytes into 'something' that can be searched on.

As for Kibana, it's all JS. Some are fine with embedding it into their own app or exposing directly, some prefer more control and end up modifying it or putting their own controls in front that apply filtering or enforce a read-only view. The Kibana team is working on enhancing this even further so it's best to talk to them about specific technical issues which I'm afraid I can't answer.

Hope this helps,