I've read a lot of ES Performance Guides and most of them suggest setting
the ES_HEAP_SIZE to half the RAM, but not more than 32 GB.

ES is running on a Server with 32 GB of RAM, with nginx, php5-fpm and mysql
on this machine and i'm only indexing around 10.000 Documents with a total
size of 5 MB.

The Index will probably grow to around 20.000 - 30.000 (10 - 15 MB)
Documents in the near future, but thats - compared to other clusters - is
still a fairly small amount of data.

I dont have heavy traffic nor i'm doing crazy searches.

Most types are not_analyzed, because i'm primarily using ES for filtering,
aggregations and sorting, full text search is just a minor benefit for me,
but it would be crazy doing all the filtering with mysql and not with ES.

Setting the ES_HEAP_SIZE to around 16 GB seems a bit of an overkill for my
usecase, but since i'm using filters (which are cacheable) and doing
aggregations with sorting, setting the ES_HEAP_SIZE at around 2 GB feels
kinda right for me, but i'm not sure if i'm missing something here.

Any reccommendation on the ES_HEAP_SIZE with a small number of documents is
really appreciated, thanks!