Dont we need to consider space for compound file formats? Worst case
scenario of CFS enabled, forceMerge to 1 segment would need 40GB free space
for 2 x 10GB segments?

Also index.merge.policy.max_merge_size defaults to unbounded, is there some
recommended numbers around this?

There are no disk based circuit breaker turned on by default and the index
just appears to go red when there is no free disk space. So I wanted to set
safeguards at my end to avoid this issue.