Hello Ayman ,

The regex is done on the token level and not on the string level.

Lets assume your field value is = abc/xyz
This is broken into abc/xyz => [ abc , xyz]
Now you can do regex match on the token level and not on abc/xyz.
So if you search for ab* , it will match as it matches to abc but abc/x*
wont work because there is no single token in that format.

Your best bet here would be to make this field not_analyzed as told in the
below link.

LINK -
http://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/1.4/mapping-core-types.html

Now if you apply regex , it should work fine , because there is not
tokenizing happening.

Thanks
           Vineeth Mohan,
           Elasticsearch consultant,