Hi,

How much space the data takes up on disk in Elasticsearch depends a lot on
your mappings. In addition to storing the source in the _source field, all
fields are by default also copied over to the _all field to allow free text
search across all fields. In addition to this Elasticsearch also indexes
all the fields in the source document, sometimes in multiple ways, which
also takes up space. The amount of data Elasticsearch need to store can
therefore grow quite a bit before compression is applied.

You might be able to reduce the indexed size on disk by ensuring your
mappings are as efficient as possible, e.g. by disabling the _all field if
you do not need it.

Best regards,

Christian