HI,

That sounds like a very large amount of shards for a node that size, and
this is most likely the source of your problems. Each shard in
Elasticsearch corresponds to a Lucene instance and carries with it a
certain amount of overhead. You therefore do not want your shards to be too
small. For logging use cases a common shard size at least a few GB.

If you are using daily indices and the default 5 shards per index, you may
want to consider reducing the shard count for each of your indices and/or
switch to weekly or perhaps monthly indices in order to reduce the number
of shards created each day and increase the average shard size going
forward.

In order to get the instance working again you may also need to start
closing the older insides in order to bring down the number of active
shards and/or upgrade the node to get more RAM.

Best regards,

Christian