The question of relative size has, I believe, led me to the problem.

I create aliases.  After the load, I have the alias point to the new index.
 One of the indexes had a bad document that made the change alias mechanism
fail.  This means I kept loading the document into an index but the alias
was always pointing to an old index.  So, on the working system the
database size was relatively small - since I got rid of the old indexes.
 The bad machine was taking up a lot of space because the old indexes were
never deleted because the alias didn't point to them.

Thanks a lot for the help!!

Blake