Hi,

I am sure Hadoop can help you calculate this, but you may also be able to
go about this more efficiently in Elasticsearch. If you, as you mentioned,
were to create a user centric index in addition to the event centric one
that you have got, you could store a list of all the events belonging to a
user there. This would allow you to efficiently identify the users that
have all the required events through a simple query, and then just process
these to verify that the order is correct, which is likely to scale and
perform much better than the current approach. This is what is usually
referred to as entity-centric indexing [1].

As updating the user centric index for every event inserted can often be
expensive, a common approach is to create a batch job that periodically
retrieves all new events, aggregates these per user and updates the user
index. This will mean that the user index will not be completely up to date
all the time, but as you spread out the processing work, it can make
queries much more efficient.

[1] https://www.elastic.co/videos/entity-centric-indexing-london-meetup-sep-2014

Best regards,

Christian