On Friday, May 01, 2015 at 21:04 CEST,
     Sitka <sitkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a file of logging records I am using to debug some "filter"
> parses.   I am using "file" input and have set "starting_position" to
> "beginning".  So I startup logstash see what I get and killed it and
> make fixes and go again.  I have seen if sometimes it reads the file
> and sometimes not.  I ran some experiments and found that if I delete
> the file and rewrite it and then start up logstash it reads the file.
> If I have previously read the file, then when logstash starts it
> doesn't read the file despite  being told to start at beginning.
> Am I missing something here?  Is this intended behavior or a possible
> bug?

This is the intended behavior and documented at
http://logstash.net/docs/1.4.2/inputs/file#start_position:

    "This option only modifies 'first contact' situations where
     a file is new and not seen before. If a file has already
     been seen before, this option has no effect."

If you want to force Logstash to reprocess a file, delete
the corresponding sincedb file (or entry within such a file).
For testing purposes it's much more convenient to use the
stdin input.

Next time, please post Logstash questions like this one to the
logstash-users list.

--
Magnus Bäck                | Software Engineer, Development Tools
magnus.b...@sonymobile.com | Sony Mobile Communications