Indeed. The only workaround I can see  in addition to the one you found with +
is to set `default_operator` to `AND`

DELETE simple
PUT simple/test/1
{
  "foo": "bar baz"
}
PUT simple/test/2
{
  "foo": "bar boz"
}
GET simple/_search
{
  "query": {
    "simple_query_string": {
      "query": "bar baz",
      "fields": [ "foo" ],
      "default_operator": "AND"

But that’s not exactly what you are looking for.

--
David Pilato - Developer | Evangelist
elastic.co

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/1C955DCD-6E33-443D-8292-2FD79ADCC567%40pilato.fr.