I'm sorry for the long delay it took to answer.
Every index is a folder inside the data folder. I just simply compressed
those folders and sent to S3.
But, now, we just found an "answer":

   - we built (at another dc) another ES cluster and we've put those
   folders inside the data directory
   - this is the part that i didn't participate:
      - we had a Logstash querying ES and outputting to our ES cluster
   - That's our answer to what we were looking for

Att
Frederico Ferreira
(21) 98714-1445

> 1 shard per index doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have very small
> amounts of data, You'd be better off going back to the default as you are
> solving the wrong problem there.
>
> What are these backup file you mention, how did you get them out of ES?
>
> On 27 April 2015 at 21:50, Frederico Ferreira <frederic...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> This is my first e-mail, so, if this problem is already explained, i'm
>> sorry, couldn't find out where it is.
>> I'm out of ideas. This is my question:
>> I had an Elasticsearch up and running with 1 replica, 5 shards, 1 master
>> (data false) and 10 slaves, and every index configured by day (from
>> logstash). Since we changed to a hourly index, after 2 weeks and a needed a
>> maintenance reboot, Elasticsearch wasn't able to start properly. It started
>> assigning unassigned shards and a lot of timeouts came to happen.
>>
>> After 5 days trying to recover, we decided to change the configuration of
>> our cluster to 1 master (data false), 10 salves and 1 shard 2 replicas
>> indexes, from scratch, without any old index.
>> My task now is to reindex those lost indexes. This is my problem:
>> I have 10 backup files (up to 400gb each) and i'm looking for ways to
>> reindex those indexes (little by little).
>>

>>    - Should i copy those indexes folder to the new cluster folder?
>>       - I don't need to change to a daily shard, i just need
>>       Elasticsearch to assign those indexes.
>>    - Is there any way i'm able to differentiate replica folders from
>>    shards folders?
>>

>> We're using Elasticsearch 1.4.4 and each Elasticsearch is in an 8-core,
>> 16gb ram dedicated machine.

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAM0Xh3hG7BfiTwDgc0cCseTg4dVNFvav6LWvOmHS_-0Q3Ey0Tw%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAM0Xh3hG7BfiTwDgc0cCseTg4dVNFvav6LWvOmHS_-0Q3Ey0Tw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elasticsearch/CAEYi1X92zDgRK18wNak-Q%2BsJVP8C8%2BqQz70bvxu_jG%2BPmbq9CQ%40mail.gmail.com