What you just described should work fine. exclude._ip will move the shards
off of the nodes you exclude but queries and updates can proceed while this
is happening because the data is still on the old nodes. The updates will
make their way to the new copies via a transaction log reply mechanism.

Depending on how the clients connect you might need to shift their
connection uris to the new servers and that might require restarting them -
depending on how your clients work.

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 8:38 AM, mehmet özer <mehmetozer1...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running a cluster which contains many indexes. In the near future I
> will have new machines so that I will need to migrate my indexes to those
> machines. I have thought some scenarios but it will not be possible to do
> so. Let me explain what I thought and why it was not possible;
>
> - I wanted to put the new machines into existing cluster and then I
> thought I could use exclude._ip option to exclude existing machines. So
> that old indexes would have migrated.
>
> This seemed possible for me but I can not stop working on the index, users
> should continue making searches on the indexes. So can you please tell me
> how I can migrate the data without disturbing clients ?
>
> Thank you
>
> --
> Please update your bookmarks! We have moved to https://discuss.elastic.co/
> ---