Hello Group:
I am writing some code to control the KDSP used in the Elecraft K2.  I
believe I have uncovered some erroneous information contained
in the K2 Programmers Reference Manual, Revision E, dated Feb. 3, 2004.
With respect to the command "DS", under the heading
"TEXT and decimal point data", Bit 7 (MSB) of each byte is used to indicate
whether the decimal point to the left of each character
Is on (1) or off (0).

If I push "Display" to show the "denoiser" status in CW mode the display
shows "C1  nr", without the quotation marks.
This indicates the denoiser if OFF in CW mode.  If I send a DS; command to
the K2 the response bytes are as following:

[65msec] Port Data Received
44 53 43 31 40 4E 52 40 40 40 61 61 3B     The first line is from my test
program and is NOT sent by the K2.

This byte stream translates to:
[36msec] Port Data Received
DSC1@NR@@@aa;

Now if I turn on the denoiser in CW mode the display shows "C1  .nr", again
without the quotation marks.
This indicates the denoiser is ON in CW mode.  If I send a DS; command to
the K2 the response bytes are as following:

[40msec] Port Data Received
44 53 43 31 40 2E 4E 52 40 40 40 61 61 3B  Again the first line is from my
test program and is NOT sent by the K2.

This byte stream translates to:
[161msec] Port Data Received
DSC1@.NR@@@aa;

According the Programmers Reference Manual the DS; response should contain 8
bytes following the DS in the message.
Looking at the above second response indicating the denoise ON, you see
actually 9 bytes.  The extra byte precedes
The byte "4E" which is ASCII for letter N in the display.  The ASCII
character "2E" is for the character
"."  (ie: decimal point).  It appears the description in the Reference
Manual indicating the Bit7 meaning is not correct.
An actual extra byte in inserted to show the decimal point to the left of
the character "n" in the DSP denoiser status
Display.

Comments Please.

Karin Anne Johnson K3UU
Palm Harbor, Florida