I find a change of 0.09 volts to be acceptable for the load applied.

73

Bob, K4TAX

On 9/24/2024 9:18 AM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Message: 3
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2024 17:20:36 +0000
From: Michael Carter<mike.car...@unh.edu>
To: Elecraft Reflector Reflector<Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] OT: regulation quality of Astron SS-25 power
        supply?

I've been using the SS-25 as the supply for my K3 or K2/100 for several years.
I've been curious about how much voltage drop I see in the stock DC power cable
that came with the K3 as a function of supply current.  No DC power
distribution blocks here - just straight cable from K3 PowerPoles to terminals
on the power supply rear apron.

Today I did careful measurements of the internal voltage reported by the K3,
the voltage directly at the SS-25 DC terminals (measured with Fluke 115 DMM),
and the total current reported by the K3 for different TX power control
settings.

The no-load voltage ** directly measured**  at the SS-25 was 13.78 V, with 2.0
W TX power setting it dropped to 13.76 V (2.22 A current), and at 90 W TX power
setting (17.4 A current) it dropped to 13.47 V.  These voltages are all
measured AT the power supply terminals, not the voltages reported by the K3's
internal monitor.

My rough calculation indicates a 2% decrease in power supply terminal voltage
for an approximate 15 A increase in load current.  This seems like poor
regulation to me, and I can't find any specification for voltage regulation
quality on the web or at Astron's official page.

Has anyone done a careful measurement of regulation for this SMPS?

Thanks, and 73,
Mike, K8CN
--
You don’t get to choose how you’re going to die or when. You can only decide how you’re going to live now. Joan Baez