What brought up this discussion was a comment about needing to make the AX1
resonant. It is a 4' antenna, and by itself, won't be resonant on 15-40. It was
not intended to be a resonant antenna. The internal "tuners" - impedance
matching devices - of the KX2, KX3 and KH1 allow max energy to be input into
the antenna - 5-12 watts. Using the system as factory delivered, I have had
great success with the AX1 and the KH1 whip. The internal "tuner" matches the
antenna, allows full radio power out and receive energy in. I connect the
antenna directly to the radios, push the tune button, get the 1.1:1 match
almost always and make contacts. The QSOs are sufficient to activate parks,
which has been my goal. I am able to accomplish my goal without putting the AX1
or whip on a tripod, using multiple radials/counterpoises, or using coax. I can
setup the radio in less than 5 minutes, spot myself and usually complete the
activation in less than 30 minutes (usually, if the sun is cooperatin
 g), and teardown in about 2 minutes. I use an external battery.
Of course the AX1 is not going to be resonant as presented from the factory,
when measured with an analyzer. It is a 4' collapsible whip, with one 13' or
31' counterpoise. Use the internal tuner, attach the antenna to the radio, and
have fun. It is about having fun. One of the local hams has fun using random
metal objects as antennas. He tuned his antenna, a toaster oven, sliding the
tray in and out. He loaded a floor lamp, a screen door, a metal fence - and
made QSOs with all of them. Someone mentioned Kurt N. Sterba (and Lil Paddle).
They debunked many basic philosophies held for years by hams - tribal
knowledge. Ham radio is about having fun. Just have fun. The KX-2/3, KH-1and
the AX1/2 help to make ham radio fun.

72/73

John Kitchens, NS6X
805.216.2569