I just looked at my old copy of the NEW Sideband Handbook by Don Stoner
W6TNS, copyright 1958 - I have 6th printing dated June 1966.

Page 94 shows the schematic of the Central Electronics 10B phasing exciter -
and it DOES generate SSB at a fixed 9 MHz (unchanged from the 10A).  The
addition of a 5 to 5.5 MHz VFO will allow it to cover both 75 and 20 meters.

I do recall conversations among SSB ops about the sideband selection for the
various bands, but I cannot recall the details.  For many years, I thought
the sidebands were flipped between 75 and 20 meters with this 9 MHz
generator and the 5 to 5.5 MHz VFO, but then I saw the math which says the
sidebands did NOT flip with this mixing scheme - Oh well, the conventions
are well glued in place - who will be real pioneers and campaign to get
everyones mindset changed?  Anyone for no QSOs? <G>

73,
Don W3FPR

Life is what happens when you are making other plans