Hi

Yes it is a well known fact that a properly made crimp connection is more
reliable and can be made more consistently than a soldered connection (as well
as faster). The problem with soldering is it takes skill while the crimp
connection does not. Another problem with soldering is the solder will wick up
under the insulation and over time may make the wire brittle causing it to
break at the solder connection. I have also seen flux that wicks up under the
insulation attract moisture and corrode up under the insulation. Over time the
wire disintegrates. These problems are rare but do happen.

When I say a properly made crimp I am talking about the tools with the correct
die for the contact and the ratchet mechanism so the crimper will not release
until the proper pressure has been applied. These tools cost between $50 and
$250. The cheap $10 tools will not make a good crimp unless you know what you
are doing and then it may be a two or three step process. If you do not have
the proper crimper then soldering is about the only way to do it.

BTW wire wrap is also more reliable than soldered connections for the same
reasons. Again soldering requires a certain amount of skill to make consistent
connections. While wire wrap the skill is in the design of the tool. Anybody
can make reliable connections with no skill required and 5 minutes of
instruction. This was one of the reasons Digital Equipment built wire wrap back
planes in their computers up through the 80's

Don Brown
KD5NDB