At 02:47 PM 7/2/2004, Jim Brown wrote...
>On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 12:47:44 -0400, Mike S wrote:
>
>>Analog phone circuits are indeed transmission lines.
>
>ONLY if they are long enough...
> At 3 kHz, the limit of baseband audio on POTS,
>1/20 wavelength is nearly two miles.

According to Verizon, over 20% of US subscriber loops are more than 18,000 feet
long. The balance of your post continues to demonstrate a lack of familiarity
with real world audio transmission lines. For instance, you're apparently
unaware that loading coils are inserted on a long subscriber loops to offset
the parallel capacitance.

Nonetheless, throwing out non-sequiturs in defense of an incorrect statement is
pointless. Your original statement was "forget all that ancient stuff about 600
ohms. Pro audio hasn't used a 600 ohm reference for at least four decades,"
which is demonstrably false.

"Line level" is a telco term which has well established meaning. "Line level"
had meaning before broadcasting or electronic sound recording even existed.

You, in your response, gave an ambiguous answer of at least two significantly
different values, which illustrates that the term has lost any real meaning in
your environment through imprecise use and ambiguity.

The original questioner deserved a correct answer. For all you know, he was
trying to build a phone patch, for which your "impedance doesn't matter"
response would cause him no end of grief, as would your ambiguous description
of what constitutes "line level".

>Modern telephone lines (from a central office to a home) are NOT 600 ohm lines
>because they don't use 600 ohm cable.

Your implication is incorrect. By your own statements, what matters isn't
what's on paper, but what's measured. The measured "impedance is in the region
of 500 to 1000 ohms" for normal telco twisted pair cable -
http://www.qsl.net/vk5br/TransLines.htm Real world and by design, telco twisted
pair is functionally 600 ohm. There's no doubt a Bellcore standard for all of
this, too.

And yes, this does matter beyond formal transmission line theory. You're used
to unidirectional signal transfer (4 wire, in the telco world). A telephone
uses two wires full duplex. The hybrids at each end of that line which make
this possible must be impedance matched, or you get problems like echo, bad
sidetone or improper levels.

I'm done. My intent was to correct an obvious error, not get into a pissing
match.