From: Sverre Holm [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 7:54 AM
To: Linden, Mike (BRC-Hes); elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K2: VFO clicks/pops in the presence of strong
signals

>  I hear clicks/pops (about
> S-5/6) when the VFO transitions the following boundaries:
>
> 7015.79/80 (click/pop getting very weak here) 7020.79/80 7025.79/80
> 7030.79/80 7035.79/80

Such clicks about every 5 kHz is normal and is part of the construction of
the PLL/VFO-system of the K2. Let me see if I can explain it. The reference
oscillator of the PLL is based on a 12 and something MHz crystal, with a
variable division ratio following it. However, these steps would be way too
course, and therefore the crystal is pulled by varicaps over about 5 kHz
between every change of division ratio. The pops you hear is when you are
the end of the pulling range, and the divisor changes and the varicap
voltage goes to the other end of the pulling range.

Sverre