Bill -

I experienced pretty much he same thing when building my K2. In fact, it was just a bit more than what you are observing. However, I am of the school that says "try it and see if it works, and if not , then (and only then) worry about fixing it"

So, I did just that. In my case, the rig turned out to not need any further fiddling - it works fine as is! My suggestion - continue forward and see if the rig works, If it does, don't sweat the small stuff. Elecraft's specs tend to be very conservative, and in may cases, "almost" is good enough.

- Jim, KL7CC

Bill Hegardt wrote:

I'm building K2 SN 3941 and while performing the PLL range test, I get a high frequency of 12099.86 and a low frequency of 12082.08 which works out to a range of 17.78. Since this is outside the normal range of 9.5-15, I'm wondering what I should do.

I've checked the components D16, D17, C84, C85, and L31 as mentioned in the troubleshooting section, and they appear to be correct.

I have left the adjustment of C22 till later. I don't know if this could have an affect or not. Do I need to check that C22 is at its mid-point?

Searching the mail list archives on this problem, I found a post that suggested T2 might have an effect on this range. Is this correct? My windings might not quite cover 85% of the core, but I have not tried rewinding the toroid yet.

Any suggestions for my next step to resolve this?

73,   Bill    K6WIL