Thank you to all those who offered advice on my transmitter alignment problem.
It turns out that I had tuned according to the lower power peak for each
capacitor, hence the low power output. After scrambling the settings and tuning
again, I found a different combination for the inductors, and now I have
constant output over 2 watts.

As for the VFO problem, it appears that the capacitor is actually damaged and
needs to be replaced. After rechecking the solder joints and still being unable
to cure the problem, I removed it from the board and found that part of the
underside had melted and apparently burned. As a first time builder, I think I
might have held the iron too long or brushed the iron against the capacitor.

Nonetheless, all your advice payed off. Thanks so much for the quick replies
and clear explanations--it was a huge help! See you on the air!!

73s

Dave, KB1JHY