I have one of those pairs of tweezers that you squeeze to open, and
release to close. I use those to hold the toroid - they're a lot gentler
than pliers would be. As for the solder - I leave the roll on the
desktop with a length of solder unrolled and bent upwards so I can touch
the wire and iron to the end.

On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 07:54, Tom Hammond wrote:
> Jerry:
>
> >There is one thing I would add for stripping the toroids with the Hakko
> >808...Holding the toroid in your fingers WILL  burn your finger tips, the
> >copper wire conducts the heat almost immediately...Holding the toroid
> >with pliers might damage the enamel...Place the toroid on the workbench
> >and place a weight on it, covering only half the toroid and leaving the
> >wires exposed...The weight keeps the toroid from moving around, leaves
> >the other hand free for adding solder, and saves your fingertips...
>
> Might I humbly suggest merely holding the toroid at the OTHER end of the
> wire being tinned...?  E.g. tinning lead #1, hold closer to the Lead #2
> side of the core. The heat dissipates quickly as it goes around a few tunrs
> of the core.
>
> Several folks have also had good luck sticking their toroids on a pencil
> point... or into a long, slightly tapered wooden dowel.
>
> 73,
>
> Tom   N0SS

73, Brian
VE7NGR