Message: 13
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:45:26 -0500
From: "Darrell, WA5VGO"
Subject: [Elecraft] Weller Soldering Station
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net

I'm getting ready to build a K2. Where is the best place to purchase the
Weller WTCPT soldering station?

Regards,
Darrell, WA5VGO

Darrell -

If you wait till September 1, then you are eligible for a $20 rebate for a new WTCPT station purchase.
This is the Weller rebate information and flyer page
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/fallpromo/index.html

Fry's Electronics / Outpost.com is selling this station for $ 104.99. You can purchase at their stores (Austin, TX closet to you) or on-line at Outpost.com. They are currently advertising a "match any competitors price" policy.
This will give you an initial price for local price shopping.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/1723113

Action electronics (Santa, Ana, CA) is listing the station for $ 115.95
http://www.action-electronics.com/westations.htm#Wtcpt

I have used Wassco for Internet/phone orders in the past, but their prices have risen over the past few months -- they do have excellent sales to watch for.
http://www.wassco.com/sinanddualso.html

Weller's Customer Service - South: (919) 362-7541
Should be able to provide you with names of Weller dealers / distributors in the Houston area

Used stations do appear at hamfests or eBay -- which can be easily repaired - if not working. I sold my last WTCPT rebuild to a K2 builder last month, I am completing rebuilds of the earlier model (circa 1976 - WTCP/WTCPL)
These are less expensive than new.

You may also wish to look at the Weller WES51 station. This station has been selling for less than $ 100 Action Electronics offers 10% off on the tip and accessories when purchased with the station (that's nice)
http://www.action-electronics.com/wewes51.htm

Outpost.com - $ 99
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/3597924

Greg, w9gb