For PSK and other similar text-based digital modes, I have developed a protocol and a client and a server. My Java client is available open source at http://wa5znu.org/rpsk and I have given the server back to the gMFSK project. I also wrote a client for my GPRS handheld phone, and have not completed it, but screenshots are available.

So far, I have focused only on the novel elements, the TX and RX, and not rig control. The protocol transfers only the character, phase, and spectrum data, and has vastly reduced network bandwidth requirements over sending an audio stream.

As a future project, I hope to regularize the underlying protocol using XML and apply some recent research results in optimal XML compression when the standards bodies issue their recommendations. This approach will open the door to a truly cross-platform, cross-rig, extensible protocol for remote operation.

If someone wants to try out RPSK, please let me know and I will leave the RX part on for your scheduled receive time.

73,
Leigh.