From: "Tom Althoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 6:26 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] 160M problem

I was just testing out #1117 on 160M.

Symptoms:
Max power output 7W
Low background noise compared to 80M (80 = S3 background, 160 nothing but 1
LED on big static crashes)

If I transmit a string of dits at 1W and listen on another radio, I have to
hunt to find the signal.   It is at 1883.00.   I can transmit from 0000.00
on the dial to 1882.00 and the transmitted signal remains on 1883.00.

As soon as I get to 1833.00 the transmitted signal follows the dial freq.

Almost sounds like the PLL is not locking below 1833.00.

I suspect I'll need to do a full alignment to have some idea if there is a
problem with the radio or if it's just misaligned.

This is just a preliminary examination of the radio....I haven't started any
formal troubleshooting procedure yet.

Tom K2TA