  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
  Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 7:16 PM
  Subject: Re: [Elecraft] 20 meter problem on new K2

  A proper signal generator is just about essential to do the job. The problem
is that you need a fair amount of signal to get any indication on the average
oscilloscope. The normal method is to use an RF millvoltmeter to trace the
path. You can use the Elecraft provided RF probe and a DVM providing you can
inject an on frequency signal of sufficient level to work through the RX
bandpass filters, etc. Elecraft give a figure of 140mV from the signal
generator to carry out this test

  There is a good description how to go about it in the rev F, K2 manual
Appendix E, Troubleshooting page 11.

  It is possible under extreme circumstances to use a TX into a dummy load as a
signal source, but needs extreme care how you would extract sufficient level
without smoking the RX front end. Much better to use a suitable signal
generator.

  Bob, G3VVT