Hi Glenn:

I put my tuning indicator kit together this weekend that Tom N0SS was selling. Tom you did an outstanding job packaging the kit. I soldered the SMD components on the board per the PDF file that Tom provided on his web site. My tuning indicator does not work. I have 5 volts on pins 1 and 8 on the FSK chip. I have tripled cheked all the connections and the components on the circuit board. Every thing looks good with my high power magnifying glass. I am using 500 hz side tone. When I turn the trim pot on the SMD board clockwise or counter clockwis the 10th LED does not light up. I have turned it more than 5 turns both directions. I have the K2 tuned to the birdie at 4.0000 on the 80 meter band.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for further trouble shooting?

Did the illustration of the installation look IDENTICAL to what you saw on your PC board? The Rev A boards are just slightly different, though that should NOT be a significant problem. If you have an older K2, take a look (on my web site) at my pics of the successful installation on my K2. It's one of the oldest K2s you'll find and it will match the Rev A PC boards as well as the Rev XC (Field test) boards.

If you strike out, send me the board and I'll try to help you out.

It won't align using the sidetone!!! since the sidetone's NOT run thru the AF GAIN control. You MUST use the received signal.

It may be a problem of the present tuning range of the PLL being just a bit too high. Try setting the received signal to about 600 Hz and see if you can get an indication. If you do, then try 550 Hz, etc. We may have to change a component value to get it to track down to 500 Hz, though I'd have thought it'd have gone there with no problem... maybe slight component value variations..

Please keep me informed.

73,

Tom   N0SS