Do not remove anything from the LCD backlight. The covering on it is to diffuse
the light evenly on the back of the LCD. Once the LCD is pressed down on it,
any wrinkles or uneveness will smooth out.

Remove nothing from either side of the LCD, other than a thin protective
flexible film that may be factory installed to protect against scratches. This
film is on the front side of most LCDs, but there is usually not any film on
the back of the LCD. In a few cases, there may be a thin protective film on the
back, and it will have diagonal lines that may be hard to see unless held up to
a light.

In any case, the protective film will come loose and lift off by rubbing it
only with a fingertip or lifting at the edge with a fingernail, and the stiff
polarizing filter must NOT be removed from either side of the LCD or the LCD
won't work. All recent kits have no protective film on the rear surface, but
there is a scratch protective film on the front that should stay in place until
ready to install the front panel sheet metal.

If you damage the LCD by removing the polarizing filter, please email [EMAIL
PROTECTED] for a replacement. Cut the pins off of the original LCD to make it
much easier to remove. These parts are not expensive to replace, but it is some
work and results in some delay to continue with the kit.

Be sure ALL pins of the LCD driver IC U1 are soldered, including pin 1 that is
round. The LCD and its backlight have to be removed to correct a poor or missed
connection on the IC socket, so be sure the connections are good before
installing those parts.

See also: http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/Alert15.html

--
73, Gary AB7MY