Not so far fetched - my Icom 703 (nice features - so-so receiver) has
that - as well as others I own or have owned. Perhaps it would be easier
implement in conjunction with the KRC2 or some similar device. The 703
uses the four buttons along the bottom of the display - 3 memory  You
could also find yourself an old AEA Morse Machine - I have a couple of
MM3 models and they do what you want. But I know, it would be nice to
have it all in one box.

Don
W6CZ