> Can I keep the 20W tuner
in the rig if I put in the KPA100 and just put it in CALP mode?

The 20W tuner won't fit in the K2 with the KPA100. But you can keep the 20W tuner in the K2 if the KPA100 is remoted.

All of the posts I have seen regarding remoting the KPA100 always
include the KAT100, which I don't think I want...
Therefore, can I just order the KPA100 and EC2?  Do I need a KIO in the
rig to interface with KPA?

The KAT100 is not required to remote the KPA100 into the EC2. You need a way to get the auxbus connection between the KPA100 and the K2. The KIO2 is the simplest way to do this.

You might try

        http://www.fidalgo.net/~wa7gxd/k2kpa100.html and

        http://home.pacbell.net/johngreb/KI6WX.html

for suggestions on how to remote the KPA100 into the EC2 without the KAT100.

73,

Lyle KK7P