Steve,

If the cable to the computer is built as specified in the KIO2 (or KPA100) instruction manual, noise pickup is minimized - the frame ground (pin 1) is connected only at the K2 end, and any noise on the computer frame ground is not conducted onto the cable. I would expect any improvement gained by using optoisolators to be minimal - perhaps someone should try it and see.

Optoisolators are useful as a solution for ground loops in situations where they are likely to occur - such as instances when the connecting cable parameters are not known or specified. One advantage to optoisolators is that separation of the signal ground in addition to frame ground is possible, but proper care must be exercised in the design to assure that this isolation is still present after the circuit is packaged (frame ground can be inadvertently made continuous even with the use of optoisolators by conduction through a metallic enclosure).

There is little advantage to be gained by separating the signal ground for RS-232 level signals unless the cable run is very long (more than 50 feet or so) and ground reference level shift creates a problem with the switching levels at the receiver.

For my $0.02 worth, I would not predict any improvement.

73,
Don W3FPR