Noise blankers "punch holes" in the signal by turning the I.F. amplifier On
and Off. Hopefully it's off during the noise pulses.

That works really great for killing noise pulses when they are regular
enough for the system to anticipate when the pulses occur.

However, turning the I.F. amplifier On and Off like that makes it a pretty
dandy "frequency mixer" too! That means that many strange artifacts can show
up in the receiver passband as various strong signals - sometimes signals
way off frequency - mix together in the I.F. amplifier.

That's likely what you are hearing. And it's why Elecraft recommends having
the noise blanker On only when it's really needed.

Ron AC7AC