Dave,

Although the PLL may be in range, you should have a steady reading without holding anything. Check the probe -- First look at Q9 and Q10 on the Control Board. If the flat faces are blue, the 2N5179s are suspect and you should request new ones from Elecraft. If the 2N5179s have black faces, then check your probe carefully for bad solder connections - also check that the probe plugs into the Control Board the right way 'round - the shield should be located closest to the side panel.

OK, I have no more suggestions until I have more information.

73,
Don W3FPR

----- Original Message ----- My frequency counter probe gives me erratic readings during the 4MHz oscillator calibration. However if I physically hold the 10pF capacitor during the test the readings settle down much nearer the frequency of 12090 kHz +/- 30 kHz as described in the owners manual. Can I consider the test in range?