I've always done the following to see if I was going to toast something.
Maybe someone can tell me the error of may ways (the last thing I did this
on was a $1,400 Video Camera - if the method is dangerous, I'll stop!).

I hook the 6V Camera up to a 6V power supply (actually a variable voltage
PS) through an ammeter. I slowly advance the voltage (toward the 9.6V target
of the high-capacity batteries stolen from my Electric Zagi model airplane).

I figure if the current goes up, I'm going to cook something. If the current
decreases, then the power being dissipated is roughly constant so I'm not
cooking anything.

If I'm WAY off in left field, let me know. I'll spring for the $60 camera
batteries that don't last worth a poop instead of the [already on hand]
airplane batteries that hold up nicely.

If I'm NOT off in left field, this is a nice way to check out a circuit
without a diagram or any disassembly/tracing.

Dan / WG4S / K2 #2456

I a message dated 30/11/04 02:01:23 GMT Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]