Morning Merlin,

>From an old guy (hmmmpf) who has messed around with RF circuits for ages,
for what they are worth a few comments. Your idea to keep RF away from where
it should'nt be is a basic rule in good RF design, and will always be I
would think. Some digital designs get hung up because this rule is not
observed,
and there is a lot of RF about in some digital circuits.

By adding your fences, houses, barriers and getting rid of little "antennas"
is rocket science, and certainly not "dumb" !!  I have built many many HF
crystal filters for the homebrew gear, 10, 12 and 14 pole, and the isolation
of various parts from other parts is critical if a stopband attenuation
around 100db is to got, together with a good 6db / 80db shape factor and
very small passband ripple. In this playground, 6db / 80db is used more
often than 6db / 60db in design work. With VHF crystal filters using
crystals in an overtone mode (I have hombrew filters at 130Mhz and lower)
life really gets interesting - even the filter's box wants to reduce input /
output isolation. The "box" problem can be there at HF, so both the layout
and the enclosure of the filter must be thought about. But modifying an
existing filter's mechanical / electrical design can be more difficult than
starting from scratch.

I have not played with K2's filter, but apart from the input / output
isolation etc, I would suspect that the Varicaps and their bias circuitry
could also spoil "isolation" especially as pcb traces are used, but by how
much ? I have not done the sums, but I also have a hunch that the varicaps
could be one of the things that limits K2's strong signal performance. But
to be FAIR, it is my understanding that K2 started life as a QRP rig, highly
portable, and it is very nice to have the variable bandwidth filter in a
single conversion receiver. The KSB2's filter layout is compromised by lack
of space - it is much better to have the crystals in a straight line.

All said IMHO you have done the right sort of things. RF circuits that are
supposed to be separate, must not gossip.

73,

Geoff   GM4ESD