It's doubtful you will be able to do this without some digital processing involved. You need to sample the signal and then apply adaptive digital filtering with the ability to decern between noise and voice signals. What you're asking is a very complicated thing to do. Analogue will give you filtering but will not be able to get rid of all the noise since noise itself is a complex waveform.

If you want to try a noise gate, you may get some success. Several used Behringer gear found on ebay have noise gates for not alot of money.

To some extent, DSP can do what you're asking as long as the noise is not really strong. Then again, DSP will reduce the noise by the amount of Noise Reduction capable within the unit.

I think what you're trying to do is build an adaptive squelch. There are people working on this very concept right now.

Regards,
Robert VE3RPF

Martin wrote:

Hello elecrafters,
i am looking for a device to reduce/eliminate the noise of a 2m ssb-receiver.

What the circuit should do: Reduce (or eliminate) the noise of the rx
when no signal is present, like a squelch, but much faster.

It should be an analog device, not a dsp-device.
It should be external ( e.g. input from the receiverŽs headphone
jack).

Background: A friend of mine runs a transponder 144Mhz ssb -> 432Mhz
fm.
The fun with ssb input and fm output is that 2 or more persons
can have a conference like on the telephone. There is no
interference (whistles when 2 signals present) like on fm , because there is no
carrier in ssb.

We would like to eliminate or reduce the noise in the pauses.
I heard that musicians use a so called ŽnoisegateŽ, but could not find
any circuit on the web.

Any ideas anyone?
Lyle Johnson?

--