[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hello Trev,

In the past I've also suggested Elecraft produce a General Coverage shortwave reciever ki....maybe someday they will. In the meantime I've aquired a Degen 1102 (matches my K2 serial number, 1102). Read my (and other) product reviews on eham.net. (http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/4226). It is almost full coverage, starts at 3 mhz and goes up to 30 mhz (plus 70 - 108 mhz FM) so no coverage of 160m and/or no coverage below the am broadcast band. Other than that it is a great little radio for the price (approx $62 including shipping from China), the least expensive SSB capable radio I know of. I got mine here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15051&item=5737941199&rd=1 If the link doesn't work just search "Degen" on ebay.
If you must have 150khz to 30 mhz (with SSB) then the Grundig YB400 is a good
choice, although not really pocket size and is a battery hog. I have a YB400
and an 1102 and find I rarely use the YB400 since getting the 1102, which is
smaller, lighter than YB400, and uses only 3 AAs (1102 comes with 3 NI-MH
rechargeables and wall wart charger) The charging circuit built into the radio
automatically tapers charge rate as necessary. And so far, anything I can hear
with the YB400, I can hear with the 1102. A remarkable little radio

Rich  K2CPE
K2 #1102

What a fantastic receiver. Thanks for the info. How could anybody beat that price?! My Sony ICF7600D died last year, at _27_ years old and then not because of a fault, but because some alkaline batteries exploded inside it from heat (the processor board was then eaten away even though cleaned with DI water and IPA). The 1102 looks like a great replacement. Thanks again.

Paul Evans & Ann Ramus
813.249.8502
W4/VP9KF FOC 1578
Callsigns: