Guilty on the age charge! I also remember uufd... and what's this newfangled Hz thing? Hi Hi.

Larry N8LP

Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

Larry, N8LP wrote:

Oops... it was pointed out to me off-list that the required cap is 4.7 "nf"... not the 4.7 "pf" I misread it as. I would expect 4.7 nf more commonly to be written as .0047 uf, but maybe it's an international thing.
------------------------

Your "age" is showing Larry. Even though I do it every day, day in and day
out, nf just isn't intuitive to me. I constantly do a double-take and
mentally shift that decimal point over three spaces.
But we're doomed. The engineering schools today use nf just as often as my
instructors used pf and ufd. My capacitor meter even defaults to the nf
scale!!!

Shoot, I remember when pf was never seen in electronics. Picofarad was
written micro-microfarad or uufd.

Sometimes I feel like I'm "puffing" along to keep up, Hi!
Ron AC7AC