Chuck -

A couple of months ago I picked up a Velleman DVM, Model DVM890. It is a 3 1/2 digit, manual range instrument. It does all the usual functions (Ohms, DC Volts, AC Volts), plus capacitance, temperature (it comes with a probe), transistor Hfe, diode checking, AC and DC amperes (to 20 amperes), and audio frequency to 20 KHz. The temperature probe works from -50 to +1000 degrees C ( -60 to +1800 degrees F). I use it to check temperatures of soldering irons and my solder pot.

It does not do inductance. But, for my money, it rates as a very good buy. About the same size as a Fluke 8020. It has HUGE (1 inch character height) display digits - good for us old guys <grin>.

Accuracy wise, it compares nicely with my Hewlett Packard 3478A units.

I did a quick Google search, and came up with the following link, advertising a unit for $49.00 + postage.

http://www.ba-electronics.com/dvm890.htm

You may be able to find a better price by doing a more extensive search. or perhaps find a local dealer that will match that price. .

73

- Jim, KL7CC

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I would like to see some recommendations for a Digital Multimeter.  The Fluke
187 is a little out of my range but something between my Walmart $29.95 special
and the Fluke would be nice.

73 KI4DGH
Chuck G.