No pitfall that I can see, Steve.  The noise bridge should be FB!  All you
want is a noise source that is constant in level over the range of a few kHz
that is strong enough to see on your display.

The kits are a great convenience. Convenience always cost a little extra
<G>. One time when I got frustrated by not having a an antenna at my
workbench that picked up enough noise, I built a noise generator completely
out of my junk box. I think all the parts new would be under US$10 new. Tom,
N0SS, published the layout on his website. It's at http://tinyurl.com/4qggr

I used a little plastic box I had picked up at "Tap Plastics" - a retail
plastic goody outlet that is all over the country, I think. The key is short
leads. It's strong enough that I have to replace the box. I dropped it down
the stairs onto the concrete shop floor and broke the case, but some tape
keeps it working FB <G>. Such point-to-point construction is really very,
very strong.

And it puts out very useful noise levels for peaking circuits from a few
hundred kHz up through 440 MHz.

Ron AC7AC