Folks,

Part of the blame for color confusion lies with the part manufacturer. I have many older resistors in my junkbox and the color bands are bright and clear - these older color bands are saturated colors and easy to read at a glance under most any lighting condition, so I know it is not my eyes getting dim!!!. Unfortunately though, I don't forsee the situation getting any better since the component manufacturers primary market is to production lines using automatic insertion devices, and for that market, any reasonable marking will do the job, even if it is not 'people readable'. Bearing witness to this fact is the unmarked SMD capacitors. We folks who have to read the values manually have to take 'second seat' (or maybe even the rear seat).

The best tool I have found for myself is a small lighted handheld magnifier with fresh batteries - you can buy these for less than $5 at places like Wal-Mart, Target, local drugstore, etc. I use it for viewing the 'fine print' on capacitors as well, and the only color I have trouble with is violet and occasionally red/orange because many of the red pigments are not well saturated, they are more 'bright orange' than an actual red - yes my wife concurs and she has a keen color eye.

73,
Don W3FPR