Michael Babineau asked:

>Can the KBT1 option be easily removed and the
>original K1 top cover and speaker re-installed?

Not as supplied by Elecraft.  As you stated, the connections are hard-wired to
the RF PCB.

You can use an in-line connector, and many have, but:
1.  It must be polarized in some manner.  There's no reverse polarity
protection of the K1 if you get the connection backwards.
2.  If the added connector going to the RF-PCB has exposed pins, care will have
to be exercised to avoid pin contact to other components when the KBT1 is
removed and the connector is floating around in the K1 case.
3.  If the added connector going to the KBT1 has exposed pins, care will have
to be exercised to avoid shorting the batteries when the KBT1 is being stored
outside the K1.

The KBT1 would be far, far more useful if:
1.  A fixed, polarized two-pin male connector were mounted *on* the K1 RF-PCB
(similar to the speaker connector.)
2.  A cable with the two-pin female matching connector were attached to the
KBT1.

This way, there will be no dangling connector in the K1 to short out when the
KBT1 is removed, and the connections going to the battery would not be exposed
to shorts when the KBT1 is removed from the K1.

I'd also like to see the KBT1's reverse current blocking diode mounted *on* the
RF-PCB.  That way, if somehow the connector got inadvertently reversed when
installing the KBT1 assembly, the K1 would be protected from reverse polarity
damage.

There's enough room on the K1 RF-PCB to easily accomodate these improvements in
a future PCB revision.  These changes would make removal/replacement of the
KBT1 a one-minute evolution.

I had the KBT1 installed for more than a year before deciding to remove it
permanently.  I did this because:
1.  I don't like having a potential corrosive chemical leak source (AA-cells)
within the K1 case.
2.  I didn't find it all that convenient to re-charge the cells.
3.  I like the larger original K1 speaker much better than the KBT1 speaker.
(The K1 just sounds and looks better with the larger original speaker.)
4.  I like using a higher supply voltage than 8 AA-cells provide.  (I like an
external 10-AA-cell pack.)

73,
Mike / KK5F