Ci,

Yes, there is another alternative.
There are a few methods of bringing the proper signals out of the K2 to use
the KAT100 - in fact these are the same signals that are needed for remoting
the KPA100.  So you could use the same techniques as folks have used for
remoting the KPA100 without installing the KIO2.

See
http://www.ac6rm.net/mailarchive/html/elecraft-list/2004-12/msg00200.html
for more information.

73,