Mike and all,

On a properly aligned K1 or K2, the display WILL be the frequency to be
transmitted.

Not to belabor the point (and perhaps we are really saying the same thing in
different words but not understanding each other), but when one hears a 600
Hz tone from a CW signal, the 'receiver frequency' is actually 600 Hz away
from that carrier frequency - and yes, the receiver should display the
frequency of that carrier (not offset by 600 Hz), and transmit on that
displayed frequency if all is setup correctly.

I can see this may be confusing, but the net of all of it is that the
receiver display should be [VFO - BFO - (sidetone pitch)] and the transmit
frequency is just [VFO - BFO].  The result is - if you are receiving a
6999.3 carrier and hearing it at a 600 Hz pitch, your receiver is actually
tuned to 6999.9 but the display should read 6999.3 (which is where you will
transmit if the K1 is properly aligned).

The K1 and the K2 do take the offset into consideration automatically when
computing the frequency for display (the K1 must be set for the proper
transmit offset as instructed in the manual).  It matters not whether we
call it transmit offset or receive offset, the net should still be the same.

73,

Don W3FPR