I hate to "jump on the bandwagon" and be another basher; but DHL, in my opinion, has earned it. I realize they recently bought out Airborne Express; but that's no excuse. My story:

I work for a company that imports professional photographic equipment from overseas. We distribute high end cameras, digital backs, studio stands and accessories and high end studio photographic strobes. I'm the service manager - it's my charge to repair broken items from around the country as quickly and efficiently as possible. A dealer in NYC sent us a powerpack for repair. No big deal. My techs repaired the unit (worth several grand) and shipped it back to them using DHL. Several weeks later, my dealer calls me and asks for the whereabouts of the pack. I told him I shipped it two weeks ago. He tells me he never got it. I told him I would track it. By all rights, the delivery should have taken a day, We're talking from Edison, NJ to Mahattan - 35 miles tops.

I commence to trace it, to find out that it's not in the system. I ask the warehouse manager to call DHL. They're vague at best and promise they will call back. Which they did ..... the next day. It turns out the package is in .......... Texas !!!!!! How the heck it got there, I'll never know. So after much haggling, they deliver it to my customer ... a week later. The dealer calls me up - the box is now damaged ! I tell them to refuse it, so it will come back to us.

The box is damaged (this is being kind) and the powerpack is once again broken (much worse than the original repair)! Call DHL to institute a claim. Even though they broke it and shipped it wrong; and it took 3 weeks to get to the customer; they refused to pay a claim. They stated that it must have gotten damaged somewhere while it was not in their possession.

Moral of the story? Never, ever, under ANY crcumstances use DHL to ship ANYTHING!

73 de Larry W2LJ