You will find good software in the Ham Radio Deluxe software (free for
download - well done Simon and Peter) as well as the N4PY software - not
free, but good price or good, professional software (use Google to find
links) - Carl is a real professional.  These both provide full front panel
operation plus some other interesting features.  There are others, but IMHO,
these are the best.  The N4PY software adds a lot of function to the K2,
like a 'bandscan' feature and more convienent controls than can be provided
by the K2 front panel - HRD does some enhancement, but is more limited than
Carl's code.

If you are into creating your own code, the KIO2 Programmer's Reference is
available for download from the Elecraft website.  I don't believe you will
find any 'hidden menus' or similar stuff, the folks at Elecraft usually
provide full information about what can be done with the K2 (or any other of
their products) - 'experimentation is encouraged' has been my experience
with them over the last 5 1/2 years.

As far as the K2 firmware goes (BFO movement and such), you will discover
that it is Elecraft proprietary, and should you reverse engineer and modify
it, you will be doing so at your K2's risk.  As I understand it, the
availble firmware memory space is 'chock full' already, so unless you are
into replacing the chip with a bigger one, you would have to sacrifice some
functions to fit what you desire into it.   The best recourse if you want
added function is to ask Wayne and he will likely put it on his list of
'things desired' for consideration in future firmware releases.

73,
Don W3FPR