Interesting comparisons!

After the K2/100 combo was released, I always considered the K2 one of the
"big boys" - just not one of the "really, really expensive boys" Hi!

The K2 is at its best with the pre-amp off below 15 MHz unless it's hooked
to a really low-gain antenna like a short whip. The K2 has wonderful dynamic
range, so adding the preamp usually doesn't hurt so one would notice.
Indeed, sometimes I turn it on on 80 meters to bring some impulse noise up
high enough for the noise blanker to react to it. But the preamp does
nothing for the sensitivity on the lower bands when hooked to any sort of
decent antenna.

The test I use is whether the noise floor jumps up when I hook on the
antenna. If it does, adding the preamp will do nothing except reduce the
dynamic range by about 20 dB. What I can hear is limited entirely by the
external QRN.

The K2 was designed for low current consumption so some ops have added an
external amplified speaker, especially when using the K2 in a noisy
environment. 99.9%% of my operating is with the phones so I never notice any
shortage of eardrum-rattling gain. Even on it's internal speaker, it is too
loud for me in the shack.

$4K for the Drakes huh? I always liked their gear but I'd rather have the
$2,800 or so that I didn't spend by getting the K2. Tnx for the input!

Ron AC7AC